Lead UI Designer
As a Lead Visual Designer at This Place, you’ll be managing a project team designing digital experiences and products for global brands, from conception through final design. You’ll work closely with the UX and Creative Directors, as well as interaction designers, communication designers, strategists, developers and project managers to research and deliver compelling, user-centered design solutions.
Design Leads at This Place are not only hands-on designers, but they are also confident leaders, directing the work of individuals and teams, providing mentorship and encouragement balanced with forthright feedback, and a commitment to producing exceptional work. Leads are role models for junior designers of all creative disciplines, and have some direct management responsibilities.
Visual Designers at This Place are more than just craftspeople, but are professionals who think about the role that visual design plays in telling stories, and bring both skill and personal perspective to what they create. We look for designers who see digital as one facet of a larger design discipline, and are knowledgeable about other forms of visual communication, including fine art, graphic and industrial design, information graphics, animation and photography.
- Manage the day-to-day workflows of multiple projects, working with the Directors to ensure that deadlines are met, and project goals are achieved
- Drive the creation of concepts, page-level designs and design-level prototypes for websites, applications, wearable devices and interactive installations
- Identify which technologies are appropriate for given projects, and seek opportunities for experience and design innovation
- Lead by example, inspiring others with the quality of your own work, your ability to clearly articulate your vision and design decisions
- Mentor and participate in managing the careers of junior designers
- Assist with recruiting and hiring
- Initiate and maintain client relationships, and contribute to business development
- Be an eloquent storyteller when presenting work to internal teams and to clients, encouraging collaborative dialogue and building consensus around solutions
- Contribute to the development of best practices and standards at This Place
- 8 years professional experience designing digital products and interfaces, as well as websites, mobile and web applications
- An online portfolio that demonstrates impeccable craft, an eye for detail, and striking visual designs
- Proven ability to lead a team of multidisciplinary designers at a project level, and to manage and mentor junior creatives
- A capacity for strategic, conceptual and associative thinking, and the ability to translate this thinking into compelling work
- A solid understanding and demonstration of user-centered design principles
- Proficiency with existing interactive technologies, and curiosity about emerging ones
- Mastery in visual design, UX, and prototyping tools, such as Sketch, InVision, Framer, After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Must be able to speak thoughtfully and persuasively about design
- Located within commuting distance of Seattle, WA (or willing to relocate)
- Ability to travel if and when required